In 1915, after the Anzacs landed at Gallipoli and as men around the country were joining the Australian Imperial Force, a small group at Bexley Public School took up their needles to support the war effort. By making a donation to the local fund to buy ‘comforts’ for the troops, donors could have their names embroidered on the flag. Fifty-nine donors came forward and raised £42.
The Bexley Patriotic Flag (as it became known) was part of the St George Historical Society collection at Lydham Hall. In 2020, the SGHS donated the flag to Bayside Council.
It has been cleaned, repaired, conserved and framed and hangs proudly in the Rockdale Town Hall foyer.
In this presentation, principal textile conservator Christina Ritschel will talk about how she treated the flag and Alison Wishart will talk about the history of the Bexley Patriotic Flag.